Adwoa Sarfo Biography
Sarah Adwoa Safo (born 28 December 1981), and known popularly known as Adwoa Sarfo, is a Ghanaian lawyer and politician who hails from Bekwai in the Ashanti Region of Ghana. She is the Member of Parliament for the Dome Kwabenya Constituency of the Greater Accra Region of Ghana. She is the Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection.
Adwoa Safo was born on 28 December 1981 in Accra, Ghana to Ghanaian industrialist and pastor, Apostle Kwadwo Safo. She is the 4th out of 6 children of her parents.
Adwoa Safo was home-tutored and wrote and passed her GCE A’ Level in 1998. At age 17, she entered the University of Ghana Faculty of Law where she was awarded Bachelor of Law (L.L.B.) degree in 2002. Adwoa Safo was elected the vice-president of the Law Students Union (LSU) in her final year. She later continued to the Ghana School of Law and was called to the Bar in October 2004 at the age of 22. She holds an LLM from George Washington University.
- She worked briefly with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, Washington DC in the United States and thereafter returned to Ghana to serve her nation. On her return home in late 2005, she joined the law firm Kulendu @ law, then Zoe, Akyea & Co, as a private legal practitioner and concurrently served on the Mediation Committee of the Legal Aid Board of Ghana as a Mediator.
- She worked as the first legal officer of the Public Procurement Authority (PPA) for two (2) years and was very instrumental in the formulation of the proposals that formed the basis for the creation of the Appeals and Complaint Panel of PPA and the change of the name Public Procurement Board to Public Procurement Authority.
- Adwoa Safo was first elected as the member of parliament for Dome Kwabenya in 2012. And she has been re-elected in 2016 and 2020. She was deputy majority leader of the 7th Parliament of the Republic of Ghana and is the only female MP in Ghana to ascend to the number 2 position of the Majority front.
- She was appointed Minister of State in charge of Government Procurement in 2017, serving till 2021; under Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, 5th president of the Republic of Ghana.
- In the eight parliament under the fourth parliament of Ghana, President Akufo-Addo appointed her as Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection as she served as the Minister for Procurement during the 7th parliament of Ghana.
Awards and Honors
- In 2012, Adwoa was a nominee for the Nobles Forum Award. She was honored by Glitz Africa as one of the Top 100 Women of the Year.
- Adwoa Sarfo was formerly in a romantic affair with vociferous Ghanaian politician and businessman Kennedy Agyapong, they had two kids together before parting ways.
- She is currently married to a businessman known as Hanny Mouhtiseb.