Alex Daniel Tuch, born on May 10, 1996, is an American professional ice hockey forward currently playing for the Buffalo Sabres in the National Hockey League (NHL). Drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the first round of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Tuch has since established himself as a formidable presence on the ice, known for his power-forward style of play.
||Alex Daniel Tuch
||May 10, 1996 (age 27)
||Ice Hockey Player
||IIHF World U18 Championship gold medal (2014)
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Alex Tuch was born in Syracuse, New York, and grew up in Baldwinsville, New York.
- He is of Slovak ancestry through his great gran
- Tuch has a younger brother, Luke, who was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft by the Montreal Canadiens and plays hockey for Boston University, and a sister, Leah, who plays field hockey.
- Growing up, Tuch was a fan of the Buffalo Sabres.
- Tuch’s early education is unknown, but his involvement in youth hockey programs played a significant role in his development as a player.
Youth and College
- Tuch played in the 2008 Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament with the Lemieux Academy minor ice hockey team from Phoenix, Arizona.
- He was ranked 12th by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau leading into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Tuch trained with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program team from 2012 to 2014, winning a bronze medal at the 2013 World U-17 Hockey Challenge and gold at the 2014 IIHF World U18 Championships.
- He played college hockey for Boston College in the Hockey East Association from 2014 to 2016, earning a spot on the 2014–15 Hockey East Association Pro Ambitions All-Rookie Team.
- Tuch signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Minnesota Wild in April 2016.
- He spent most of his rookie professional season with the Iowa Wild, the team’s AHL affiliate, scoring 18 goals and totaling 37 points in 57 games.
- Tuch made his NHL debut with the Minnesota Wild on February 4, 2017.
Vegas Golden Knights
- In June 2017, Tuch was traded to the Vegas Golden Knights.
- He started the 2017–18 season with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves but was soon recalled to the NHL.
- Tuch scored his first NHL goal on October 15, 2017, against the Boston Bruins.
- He played a significant role in the Golden Knights’ run to the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals.
- In October 2018, Tuch signed a seven-year contract extension with the Golden Knights.
- Tuch underwent shoulder surgery in July 2021, sidelining him for the majority of the 2021–22 NHL season.
- In November 2021, he was traded to the Buffalo Sabres, a team he grew up supporting.
- Tuch made his Sabres debut on December 29, 2021, and quickly became a fan favorite.
- He scored his first career hat-trick in October 2022 and achieved career highs in goals, assists, and points during the 2022–23 season.
Awards and Nominations
- Tuch won a bronze medal at the 2013 World U-17 Hockey Challenge and a gold medal at the 2014 IIHF World U18 Championships with Team USA.
- Tuch was born to Carl and Sharon in Syracuse, New York.
- He has a younger brother, Luke, and a sister, Leah.
- Tuch’s Slovak ancestry comes from his great grandmother.
- Growing up, he was a fan of the Buffalo Sabres, the team he now plays for.