André Onana Biography
Popularity Rank: #181
André Onana Onana (born 2 April 1996) is a professional footballer from Cameroon who plays as a goalkeeper for Serie A club Inter Milan. He began his career at Barcelona’s youth academy before moving to Ajax, where he gained prominence. His performances at Ajax earned him a move to Inter Milan in 2022.
|Full Name||André Onana Onana|
|Born||April 2, 1996 (age 27)|
|Awards||Best African Goalkeeper(2018)|
|Organization||Cameroon Football Association|
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biographyContact Us
Early Life and Career
- Onana was born in Nkol Ngok, Cameroon, and began his football journey at the Samuel Eto’o Foundation.
- In 2010, he moved to Barcelona’s youth academy. Due to his minor and extracommunity status, he was loaned to the youth team of UE Cornellà for one season and then to the first team of UD Vista Alegre for another season.
- In January 2015, Onana joined Dutch club Ajax. He made his debut for Jong Ajax in the Eerste Divisie in February 2015.
- He signed a new contract with Ajax in May 2017, which was extended until June 2022 in March 2019.
- In February 2021, Onana received a 12-month ban from UEFA after testing positive for a banned substance, Furosemide. The ban was later reduced to nine months by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in June.
- In May 2022, he announced his departure from Ajax after seven and a half years, during which he made 214 appearances in all competitions.
- On 1 July 2022, Inter Milan officially confirmed Onana’s signing on a five-year contract.
- Onana made his debut for Cameroon in a 2–1 friendly win over Gabon in September 2016.
- He featured in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations third-place game against Burkina Faso.
- On 9 November 2022, he was named in the final squad for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar. However, he was sent home from the tournament due to a disciplinary issue related to disagreements about the coaching tactics.
- Onana announced his retirement from international football on 23 December 2022.
- Onana’s cousin, Fabrice Ondoa, also plays as a goalkeeper.
- In May 2019, Onana spoke out about being a black goalkeeper, saying they had to work harder than their white counterparts due to misconceptions about them making “mistakes”.
Honors and Awards
- During his time at Ajax, Onana won the Eredivisie three times (2018–19, 2020–21, 2021–22), the KNVB Cup twice (2018–19, 2020–21), and the Johan Cruyff Shield once (2019).
- With Inter Milan, he won the Coppa Italia (2022–23) and the Supercoppa Italiana (2022).
- Onana was named the Indomitable Lion of the Year (Cameroonian footballer of the year) and Best African Goalkeeper in 2018.
- He was included in the Eredivisie Team of the Year (2018–19) and the CAF Team of the Year (2019).