Babachir David Lawal, born on 2 October 1954, is a prominent Nigerian politician who served as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation from 2015 to 2017. Appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari, Lawal’s tenure was marked by significant achievements as well as controversies, leading to his eventual suspension and dismissal from the role.
||Babachir David Lawal
||October 2, 1954 (age 69)
||Ahmadu Bello University
||All Progressives Congress
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Babachir David Lawal was born on 2 October 1954.
- He completed his primary education at St. Patrick’
s Primary School, Maiduguri in 1969.
- For his secondary education, he attended the Nigeria Military School Zaria from 1970 to 1974.
- Lawal pursued further studies at the School of Basic Studies, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria from 1974 to 1975.
- Lawal pursued a degree in Electrical Engineering at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- He graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical).
- Lawal initiated his professional journey at Delta Steel Company, Ovwian-Aladja, where he climbed the ranks to become a Senior Engineer between 1979 and 1984.
- He then transitioned to Nigerian External Telecommunications Ltd, Lagos, serving as a Principal Engineer from 1984 to 1986.
- From 1986 to 1989, Lawal was associated with Data Sciences Nigeria Ltd, eventually becoming its Regional Manager.
- In 1990, he founded Rholavision Engineering Ltd in Kaduna and managed it until his appointment as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in 2015.
- Lawal is a member of several professional bodies, including the Nigeria Computer Society, the Nigeria Society of Engineers, and the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria.
- Lawal ventured into active politics in 2002 by joining the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).
- He held various positions within the ANPP and later in Buhari’s campaign team, including roles such as Deputy Coordinator and State Coordinator for The Buhari Campaign Organisation in Adamawa State.
- Lawal was also involved in several committees and groups, including the Congress For Progressive Change National Contact and Mobilization Committee, the Congress For Progressive Change Renewal Committee, and the All Progressive Congress Merger Committee.
- He served as the APC National Vice Chairman for the North East and was a member of the APC Presidential Campaign Committee in 2015.
- However, his political journey faced challenges when he was dismissed as Secretary to the Government of the Federation in 2017 following allegations related to the misappropriation of crisis relief funds.
Awards and Nominations