Black Sherif Biography
Black Sherif born as Mohammed Ismail Sherif is a Ghanaian musician who became known in the music industry with a song title ‘Road To The Top – 1st Sermon’ freestyle. He hails from Konongo in the Ashanti regio of Ghana. According to many Ghanaian music lovers Black Sherif has become a threat to poverty. He came into the limelight through his major ‘Money’ hit song. He is one of the few Ghanaian musicians pushing RnB and Trap Music to new heights in just one year. His stage name, Black Sherif, simply means ‘high born African’. He explains that Sherif means someone noble or highborn in Islam and Black represents being African.
- Mohammed Ismail Sherif was born on 9th January 2002 in Konongo (konongo zongo) in the Ashanti region. He had his basic school education at Konogo and later attended Kumasi Academy for his secondary education in the Ashanti region, completing in 2019.
- Black Sherif was known as a great Dancer at Konongo who started writing his own songs when he was in high school. He is currently receiving his tertiary education at the University of Professional Studies (UPSA), studying business marketing.
- Black Sherif became well known in Ghana after he released his studio single, “Money” which made him get the attention of some Ghanaians. Contrary to how he sings about poverty, Black Sherif does not come from a poor home.
- He chose the street life purposely to give him a deeper perspective into how the youth struggle. In his interview with Pure fm, Black Sherif said that: “I’m from a very comfortable home. Not super-rich but very comfortable. I have chosen the street life. I’m doing this for myself because my biggest fear is failure.”
- I don’t want anything to happen before I wake up and build my life. This means that he actually dedicated to music and will do anything for his music career. His slogan is that he is against poverty even though he is not poor.
- Black Sherif however is leading music charts with his latest freestyle from his yet-to-be-released album “Road To The Tape” EP. The 1st and 2nd Sermon songs are some of the tracks on the EP. It has not been easy for him balancing school and music but he is really trying.
Awards and Nominations
- He was awarded the “Artiste of the Year” at the 2021 edition of Emerging Music Awards.
Editor: Amati Radia