Cecilia Abena Dapaah (born 27 November 1954) is a prominent Ghanaian politician affiliated with the New Patriotic Party. She has served in various capacities, including as a Member of Parliament for the Bantama constituency and as Minister for Aviation and Sanitation and Water Resources. Dapaah’s political journey has been marked by significant achievements, but it has also been marred by controversies.
||Cecilia Abena Dapaah
||November 27, 1954 (age 69)
||University of Ghana
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Cecilia Abena Dapaah was born on 27 November 1954 and hails from Mpasatia in the Ashanti Region.
- From an earl
y age, she showed promise and dedication to her studies and community.
- Dapaah attended the University of Ghana, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in French and Linguistics in 1979.
- She furthered her education by obtaining a certificate in leadership from the Harvard Kennedy School.
- Additionally, she holds a postgraduate certificate in International Development Studies from the University of Oslo.
- Dapaah began her career as a development worker and later served as a special assistant to President John Kufour.
- In 2001, she was appointed the chairperson of the Board of Ghana Cocoa Processing Company.
- By 2005, she transitioned to the role of deputy Minister for Water Resources, Works, and Housing.
- In 2007, she was promoted to a substantive ministerial position, which she held until the end of the John Kufour administration in 2008.
Member of Parliament
- Dapaah was elected as the Member of Parliament for the Bantama constituency in the Ashanti Region in the 2004 Ghanaian general elections.
- She successfully retained her seat in the 2008 general elections, representing the New Patriotic Party.
- In January 2017, President Akuffo-Addo nominated Dapaah for the position of Minister of Aviation. During her tenure, she emphasized the importance of reviving Ghana’s national airline.
- By 2018, Dapaah transitioned to the Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources. She also briefly served as the caretaker Minister for Gender, Children, and Social Protection from 2021 to 2022.
Awards and Nominations
- Cecilia Dapaah is married and blessed with one child.
- She is a devout member of the Methodist Church.
- In July 2023, Dapaah faced significant controversy, leading to her resignation as Minister for Sanitation and Water Resources. This was due to an alleged scandal involving substantial sums of money stolen by her house helps.
- Following the incident, she was taken into custody in connection with alleged corruption activities. However, subsequent legal proceedings led to the unfreezing and return of her assets.