Darwin Nunez Biography
Popularity Rank: #145
Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro (born 24 June 1999), known as Darwin Núñez, is a Uruguayan professional footballer who plays as a striker for Premier League club Liverpool and the Uruguay national team. He hails from Artigas, Uruguay. He is known for his pace, power, and lethal finishing. He rose to prominence in Portugal with Benfica before becoming Liverpool’s record signing in 2022.
|Full Name||Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro|
|Born||June 24, 1999 (age 24)|
|Awards||CNID Footballer of the Year: 2022|
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biographyContact Us
- Born on 24 June 1999 in Artigas, Uruguay to a poor family.
- Grew up in northern Uruguay near the border with Brazil.
- Father worked as a builder, mother sold milk bottles to make ends meet.
- Played locally for La Luz and San Miguel as a teenager.
- Scouted by Peñarol at age 14 and moved to Montevideo by himself.
- Made professional debut for Peñarol in 2017 Uruguayan Primera División at age 18.
- Signed by Spanish club Almería in 2019 for $4.5 million. Scored 16 goals in 30 appearances.
- Transferred to Benfica in 2020 for club record €24 million.
- Breakthrough 2021-22 season at Benfica, scoring 26 goals in 28 Primeira Liga games.
- Won Primeira Liga Player o f the Year and Golden Boot with 26 goals.
- Signed by Liverpool in June 2022 for initial £64 million, potential club record fee.
- Won 2022 FA Community Shield in Liverpool debut, also scoring his first goal.
- Sent off on Premier League debut against Crystal Palace.
- Finished debut season with 15 goals in 42 games across competitions.
- Continues to develop and adapt to demands of Premier League in second Liverpool season.
Awards and Achievements
- Uruguayan Primera División: 2017, 2018 (with Peñarol)
- Primeira Liga Top Scorer: 2021–22
- Primeira Liga Player of the Year: 2021–22
- CNID Footballer of the Year: 2022
- FA Community Shield: 2022
- In a relationship with Lorena Mañas since 2017. They had a son together in January 2022.
- Speaks both Spanish and Portuguese fluently.