Harry Maguire Biography
Popularity Rank: #94
Harry Maguire is an English professional footballer who plays as a center back for Premier League club Manchester United and the England national team. Maguire began his career with Sheffield United, spending three seasons in League One and being named the club’s Player of the Year three times. He then played for Hull City and Leicester City before becoming the world’s most expensive defender when he signed for Manchester United in 2019 for £80 million. Maguire has made over 60 appearances for England since debuting in 2017, representing the team at two World Cups and Euro 2020.
|Full Name||Jacob Harry Maguire|
|Born||March 5, 1993 (age 30)|
|Education||St Mary’s Roman Catholic High School|
|Awards||UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament (2020)|
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biographyContact Us
- Jacob Harry Maguire (born 5 March 1993) known as Harry Maguire, is an English professional footballer who hails from Sheffield, South Yorkshire.
- He was raised in the nearby village of Mosborough.
- Maguire attended Immaculate Conception Catholic Primary School and St Mary’s Roman Catholic High School.
- From ages 7 to 16, Maguire played as a central midfielder for Sheffield United’s academy.
- After coming through Sheffield United’s youth system, Maguire made his debut in 2011 while the team was struggling against relegation.
- He became a regular starter in 2011-12, helping the club push for promotion from League One.
- Maguire was named Sheffield United’s Player of the Year for three consecutive seasons from 2011 to 2014.
- In 2014, Maguire transferred to Hull City for £2.5 million, signing a three-year contract.
- He spent time on loan at Wigan Athletic in 2015 before establishing himself as a starter for Hull in 2016-17.
- Maguire signed with Leicester City in 2017 for an initial £12 million fee.
- He played every minute of Leicester’s 2017-18 Premier League campaign and was voted the club’s Player of the Season.
- In 2019, Manchester United signed Maguire for a world record fee of £80 million.
- He was named club captain in January 2020, just six months after joining United.
- Maguire has been an integral part of United’s defense, leading the Premier League in minutes played in 2019-20 and 2020-21.
- Maguire made his senior England debut in 2017 and was chosen for the 2018 World Cup squad.
- He scored his first England goal at the 2018 World Cup against Sweden.
- Maguire started every game for England at Euro 2020 as they reached the final, where they lost on penalties to Italy.
Awards and Nominations
- PFA Team of the Year: 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14 League One
- Euro 2020 Team of the Tournament
- Maguire was born in Sheffield to parents Zoe and Alan. He has two brothers, Joe and Laurence, who are also footballers.
- Maguire is married to Fern Hawkins, having two daughters together. They wed in June 2022.