Ilkay Gündogan Biography
Popularity Rank: #186
İlkay Gündoğan, born on 24 October 1990, is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Premier League club Manchester City and the Germany national team. Known for his technical skills and versatility, Gündoğan has been a key player in both his club and national team.
|Full Name||İlkay Gündoğan|
|Born||October 24, 1990 (age 32)|
|Awards||Manchester City Goal of the Season: 2022–23|
|Organization||German Football Team|
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biographyContact Us
- Gündoğan was born in Gelsenkirchen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, to Turkish parents. His father, Irfan Gündoğan, was also a footballer who played at the amateur level.
- He started his football journey at the age of six, joining the youth team of local club SV Gelsenkirchen-Hessler 06. He later moved to FC Schalke 04’s youth academy.
- İlkay Gündoğan started his career at VfL Bochum, where he played from 1993 to 1998. He then moved to FC Schalke 04, where he played until 2005.
- In 2005, he joined 1. FC Nürnberg, where he made his professional debut in 2009. He played for Nürnberg until 2011, making a total of 48 appearances and scoring 5 goals.
- In 2011, he moved to Borussia Dortmund, where he played until 2016. During his time at Dortmund, he made 157 appearances and scored 15 goals. He also helped the team win the Bundesliga in the 2011–12 season and reach the final of the UEFA Champions League in the 2012–13 season.
- In 2016, Gündoğan joined Manchester City. As of 2023, he is still playing for the club. He has made over 200 appearances for City and has helped the team win multiple Premier League titles.
- On the international stage, Gündoğan has represented Germany since 2011. He was part of the German team that won the FIFA Confederations Cup in 2017.
- Gündoğan is known for his technical skills, work rate, and ability to score goals from midfield. He is considered one of the best midfielders in the world.
- Gündoğan is of Turkish descent and has dual citizenship of Germany and Turkey. He chose to represent Germany at the international level.
- He is known for his philanthropic activities, including donations to various charities and social causes.
- VfL Bochum II (2008–2009): 5 appearances, 0 goals
- FC Nürnberg (2009–2011): 48 appearances, 5 goals
- Borussia Dortmund (2011–2016): 105 appearances, 10 goals
- Manchester City (2016–present): 147 appearances, 24 goals
- Germany (2011–present): 45 appearances, 10 goals
- Bundesliga: 2011–12 (with Borussia Dortmund)
- DFB-Pokal: 2011–12 (with Borussia Dortmund)
- Premier League: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2020–21 (with Manchester City)
- EFL Cup: 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2020–21 (with Manchester City)