Joseph Akinwale, born on 21 May 1997 and professionally known as Joeboy, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He hails from Lagos State, Nigeria. Discovered by Mr Eazi of the record label emPawa Africa in 2017, Joeboy has since risen to prominence in the Afro-pop and R&B genres. He is also affectionately referred to as the “Young Legend.”
|| Joseph Akinwale Akinfenwa-Donus
||May 21, 1997 (age 26)
||Best Pop (Soundcity MVP Awards Festival)
|| emPawa Africa
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Joseph Akinwale was born on 21 May 1997 in Lagos State, Nigeria.
- He adopted the stage name “Joeboy” and is also known as “Young Legend.”
- Joeboy’s musical journey took a significant turn when Mr Eazi discovered him in 2017.
- With the support from emPawa100, he released the Mr Eazi-assisted track “Fààjí” on 26 October 2018 and used his grant to shoot its music video.
- His single “Baby,” released on 1 March 2019, achieved over 20 million streams across YouTube and Spotify in the same year.
- Following the success of “Baby,” Joeboy released “Beginning” on 15 August 2019, which also garnered significant attention.
- In November 2019, he released his debut extended play titled “Love & Light” under emPawa Africa, featuring tracks like “Baby,” “Beginning,” “Don’t Call Me,” and “All for You.”
- Joeboy announced his debut album “Somewhere Between Beauty & Magic” in January 2021, which was released in February 2021.
- On 19 May 2023, he released his sophomore studio album “Body & Soul,” which included tracks like “Sip (Alcohol),” “Contour,” “Body & Soul,” and “Duffel Bag.”
- In October 2022, singer Bukola Elemide, known as Asa, issued a copyright infringement notice to Joeboy over his song “Contour.” Asa claimed the song’s composition was originally recorded by her and the song’s producer, “Tempoe,” in September 2020. Asa demanded a sum of N300 million and the removal of the song from all digital streaming platforms.
Awards and Nominations
- Joeboy won the Best Artiste in African Pop at the 2019 All Africa Music Awards and Best Pop at the 2020 Soundcity MVP Awards Festival.
- He received nominations at the City People Entertainment Awards and The Headies in categories like Next Rated, Best Pop Single, Song of the Year, and Viewer’s Choice.