Joshua Norris, born on May 5, 1999, is an American professional ice hockey center currently representing the Ottawa Senators in the National Hockey League (NHL). Initially drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, Norris was later traded to the Senators in 2018. Over the years, he has showcased his talent both nationally and internationally, establishing himself as a promising player in the hockey world.
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Joshua Norris was born on May 5, 1999.
- He is an A
merican by nationality.
- Norris began his hockey journey with the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies, playing midget hockey.
- He soon caught the attention of the U.S. National Development Team, leading to his association with Team USA in the United States Hockey League for two seasons.
- Norris committed to play college hockey with the Michigan Wolverines of the NCAA, making the commitment official on September 21, 2016.
- After his time with the U.S. National Development Team, Norris was drafted in the first round, 19th overall, in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft by the San Jose Sharks.
- On September 13, 2018, he was traded to the Ottawa Senators as part of a deal involving All-Star defenseman Erik Karlsson.
- Unfortunately, Norris faced a setback in January 2019 when he sustained an injury during the 2019 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, causing him to miss the remainder of the 2018–19 season.
- Despite the setback, he showcased his talent by finishing the season with 10 goals and nine assists in just 17 games.
- On May 27, 2019, the Senators signed Norris to a three-year, entry-level contract.
- He made his NHL debut for the Ottawa Senators on February 22, 2020, against the Montreal Canadiens.
- Norris’s rookie season was notable, finishing top three in rookie point scoring and second in goals scored, only behind Calder winner Kirill Kaprizov.
- However, the 2022–23 season was challenging for Norris due to a shoulder injury, which eventually required surgery, ending his season prematurely.
- Norris represented Team USA at the 2017 IIHF World U18 Championships, contributing to their gold medal victory.
- He also played for Team USA at the 2018 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, where the team secured a bronze medal.
- In the 2019 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, Norris was not only a player but also served as an alternate captain alongside teammate Quinn Hughes.
Awards and Nominations
- AHL All-Rookie Team in 2020.
- AHL First All-Star Team in 2020.
- NHL All-Rookie Team in 2021.
- Josh Norris is the son of former NHL player Dwayne Norris and his American wife, Traci.
- For the first 11 years of his life, Norris lived in Germany due to his father’s professional commitments, making him fluent in German.
- The family later moved back to the United States, settling in Oxford, Michigan, where Dwayne Norris coached his son in youth hockey.
- Norris shares a close bond with Ottawa Senators teammate Brady Tkachuk, having played together on USNTDP teams and in world junior championships.