Kwesi Arthur Biography
Emmanuel Kwesi Danso Arthur Junior (born 18 December 1994), also known popularly as Kwesi Arthur, is a Ghanaian rapper, singer and songwriter who hails from Tema in the Greater Accra region of Ghana. In 2017, he rose to prominence after the release of the smash tune “Grind Day,” which featured two Ghanaian rappers, Sarkodie and Medikal, and earned widespread acclaim. Arthur has received numerous awards, including the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards’ Rapper of the Year and Hip Hop Song of the Year, as well as a Viewer’s Choice Best International Act nomination at the 2018 BET Awards. After Sarkodie’s nomination in 2019, he became the second Ghanaian rapper to be nominated for the BET Hip Hop Awards Cypher.
|Full Name:||Emmanuel Kwesi Danso Arthur Junior|
|Born:||December 18, 1994 (age 28)|
|Awards:||International Collaboration of the Year (Ghana Music Awards 2021)|
Kwesi Arthur was born on 18th December, 1994 in Tema, Ghana. He is the second of 4 children of his parents with a brother named Dayonthetrack, who is also a musician.
After completing his high school education at Temasco in 2013, Kwesi’s plans of furthering his education to study Psychology and Law at the University of Ghana came to a standstill due to a lack of funds.
- After he couldnt continue to further his education to the tertiary level, Kwesi decided to pursue his music career at a local recording studio instead. He made a deal with the owner of the recording studio to learn music production and record for free; in exchange, Arthur had to perform menial tasks around the studio like sweeping and general maintenance. He started with writing of raps after listening to Drake’s debut album, Thank Me Later.
- In 2016, he met management from Ground Up Chale, a social media movement for young artists in West Africa, where he recorded his hit record in their studio. He released the lead single “Grind Day” from his debut EP, Live from Nkrumah Krom (2017). The record was released under his independent outfit and supported by GroundUp Chale. He later released the remix for “Grind Day”, featuring Sarkodie and Medikal.
- Kwesi Arthur has collaborated with numerous Ghanaian musician, including Sarkodie, Medikal, KiDi, Jason E LA, R2Bees, B4bonah, M3dal, M.anifest, EL, Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale and South African rapper Nasty C . He was nominated for Best International Act at the 2018 BET Awards.
- Kwesi Arthur is one of the most successful artists in Ghana, with his music being internationally recognised and awarded. In 2020 his song Live From The 233 was one of the most streamed African songs on the streaming service Apple Music.
Awards and Honors
- In 2018, he won the “Hip Hop Song of the Year” at the Ghana Music Awards.
- In 2019, he won the “Best Collaboration” at the 3 Music Awards.
- In 2021, he won the “International Collaboration of the Year” at the Ghana Music Awards.