Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, born on 23 March 1994 and professionally known as Mayorkun, is a renowned Nigerian singer, songwriter, and pianist. He emerged into the spotlight after releasing a cover of Davido’s “The Money” and subsequently being discovered by Davido on Twitter. Mayorkun’s musical journey has been marked by significant releases, performances, and accolades, solidifying his place in the Nigerian music industry.
||Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel
||March 23, 1994 (age 29)
||University of Lagos
||The Headies (Hip Hop World Revelation) 2019
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Mayorkun was born on 23 March 1994 in Osun State, Nigeria.
- He is the eldest of three children in a family deeply rooted in the entertainment industry; his mother is a Nollywood actre
ss and his father is an artist and movie producer.
- From a young age, Mayorkun was part of a choir where he claims to have “learnt the rudiments of music.”
- He pursued and obtained a degree in accounting from the University of Lagos.
- Mayorkun attended the University of Lagos where he earned a degree in accounting.
- Before his music career took off, he was employed in the banking sector.
- Mayorkun’s decision to leave his banking job due to unsatisfactory pay coincided with Davido discovering his cover video in February 2016.
- After being followed and contacted by Davido on social media platforms, Mayorkun sent over some of his recorded songs.
- Impressed by his talent, Davido signed Mayorkun to his record label, Davido Music Worldwide (DMW).
- Under DMW, Mayorkun released his debut single “Eleko” in 2016, which quickly gained traction, with its video amassing a million views within the first ten days.
Musical Releases and Achievements
- Mayorkun has released several singles, including “Yawa,” “Sade,” “Che Che,” and “Mama.”
- In anticipation of his debut album, he dropped singles “Posh” and “Fantasy” featuring Olu Maintain in October 2018.
- His debut studio album, “The Mayor of Lagos,” was released in November 2018 and made its way to the Billboard World Albums chart.
- In 2021, after leaving DMW, Mayorkun released “Let Me Know” and his second studio album “Back In Office” under the Sony Music West Africa division.
Tours and Concerts
- Mayorkun embarked on a nationwide tour in 2017, performing in over 35 schools.
- He concluded 2017 with his headline concert in Lagos titled “The Mayor of Lagos.”
- The success of this concert led to subsequent editions in other cities like Ibadan and Abuja.
- In 2018, Mayorkun toured the UK alongside label mate Dremo and also performed at the wireless festival with label boss Davido.
Awards and Nominations
- In 2016, Mayorkun won the “Rookie of the Year” at The Headies and “Most Promising Act” at the City People Entertainment Awards.
- He clinched the “Best New Act” at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2017.
- In 2018, he won the “Next Rated” award at The Headies and “Artiste of the Year” at the City People Entertainment Awards.
- His album “The Mayor of Lagos” won “Best R&B/Pop Album” at The Headies in 2019.
- Mayorkun’s family has a strong background in entertainment, with his mother being a Nollywood actress and his father an artist and movie producer.
- He was deeply involved in church choir activities from a young age, which played a pivotal role in shaping his musical foundation.