Popularity Rank: #15
Divine Ikubor (born 1 May 2000), also known by his stage name Rema, is a Nigerian singer and rapper who hails from Edo State in Nigeria. He rose to stardom with the release of the song “Iron Man”, which appeared on Barack Obama’s 2019 summer playlist. In 2019, he signed a record deal with Mavin Records’ subsidiary Jonzing World.
|Full Name||Divine Ikubor|
|Born||May 1, 2000 (age 23)|
|Education||Ighile Group of Schools|
|Awards||The Future Awards Africa|
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biographyContact Us
Divine Ikubor was born on May 1 2020 in Benin, Edo in Nigeria. He is the first born of his parents.
He had his primary and secondary school education at Ighile Group of Schools, Edo State. He continued to University Of Lagos to study Creative Arts.
- In 2018, Rema posted a viral freestyle on Instagram to D’Prince’s track “Gucci Gang”. The post caught the attention of D’Prince who flew him to Lagos to offer a record deal to the young talent. Rema signed a record deal with D’Prince’s Jonzing World, a subsidiary of Mavin Records owned by record producer Don Jazzy.
- He went on to release his self-titled debut EP “Rema” in 2019, which peaked at number 1 on Apple Music Nigeria. On 21 May 2019, Jonzing World, and Mavin’s released the music video of “Dumebi”, a major breakout song from his self-titled EP, featuring a cameo appearance from Diana Eneje. The video was directed by Ademola Falomo and currently has 50 million views on YouTube.
- In May 2021, Rema announced he will be calling his sound “Afrorave”, a subgenre of Afrobeats with influences of Arabian and Indian music which has led to him having one of the strongest fanbase in the country known as Ravers .
- In September 2021 Rema was unveiled as a brand ambassador for the popular soft drink Pepsi alonsgide his label mate Ayra Starr.
- After Rema signed a record deal with Jonzing World, in 2019, he released his debut EP “Rema”. He later released his debut album Rave & Roses on March 25, 2022. The album includes 16 tracks and features from 6lack, Chris Brown, AJ Tracey, and Yseult. The album charted 10 songs on the Billboard US Afrobeats Chart following its debut week.
Awards & Honors
- On 19 October 2019, Rema won Next Rated and was nominated for Viewer’s Choice at the 13th edition of The Headies.
- On 12 January 2020, he received the Soundcity MVP Awards for best new artist.
- On 15 June 2020, Rema was nominated as Best Viewers Choice: International Act on the 2020 BET Awards. He was nominated on the awards alongside Burna Boy and Wizkid, they were the only Nigerian Artistes nominated for the awards edition of 2020.