Tems is a Nigerian singer and songwriter, born on July 11, 1995 in Lagos. She grew up singing in the church choir in 2009 and became one of the young famous singers in Nigeria. The success of her “Try Me” song in 2019 made her stand out in the music industry. In addition, she released a song in collaboration with American musician Khalid and Nigerian afrobeat singer Davido, a fact that made her into the Hall of Fame.
Temilade Openiyi was born on June 11, 1995 in Lagos, Nigeria. Tem’s mother is Nigerian and her father is a British. The family of Tems moved to the UK shortly after birth. When she was five, her parents divorced and moved to Ilupeju, a city in Lagos State, then to Lekki, and then to another city called Aja.
She attended Dowen College and later moved to South Africa to continue her tertiary education. At school, she learned the piano and practiced singing under the accompaniment of her brother’s guitar.
- In 2018, Tems recorded her own song “Mr Rebel” and after released a single “Try Me” in 2019 which became a popular single. In 2020, DJ Edu selected her as one of the “Top Ten Artists to Watch” of the year.
- American singer, Khalid recruited her to perform the Afrobeats mix “Know Your Worth” with him and Davido as well.
- On September 25, 2020, Tems released her first extended play “For Broken Ears”, which contained multiple tracks. The single “Damages” in her For Broken Ears EP became another follow-up hit of “Try Me” , Reached sixth place in the new album at that time. Launched TurnTable Top 50 (Nigeria Chart) and received 2.7 million views on YouTube.
- In 2020, her collaboration with Wizkid’s song “Essence” won her the first place on the BBC 1Xtra Airplay Chart and made her debut on the Billboard Hot 100.
- On November 8, 2020, she was included in the Africa Future Award: the 2020 class. In December 2020, Tems and Nigerian artist Omah Lay were arrested in Uganda after they performed a live performance for violating the COVID-19 lockdown security law. They were released after two days and the charges were dropped.
- On September 2, 2021, a billboard in Lagos announced that Tems will appear on Drake’s Certified Lover Boy album. Her collaboration with Drake’s song “Fountains” earned her her second Billboard Hot 100 shortlist, which debuted at number 26.
- On September 15, 2021, Tems released her second extended play “If Orange Was a Place”, supported by the single “Crazy Tings”
Awards and Nominations
- Tems won Most Played Alternative Song with her song “Damages” in the Net Honours award in 2021. She had a nomination in the 2021 BET Awards as the New Best International Act and also received a nomination in the MTV Africa music awards as the Best Breakthrough Act.