Will Smith, an iconic figure in the entertainment industry, has made significant contributions to both film and music. His journey from a rapper to a Hollywood A-lister is a testament to his talent, hard work, and determination.
||Willard Carroll Smith II
||September 25, 1968 (age 55)
||Overbrook High School
||Best Actor (King Richard) 2022
To Submit a biography or suggest an update on existing biography
- Willard Carroll Smith Jr. (born September 25, 1968), known as Will Smith, is an American actor, rapper, and producer who hails from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- He was the second of four children in his
- Smith’s parents separated when he was 13 but did not formally divorce until around 2000.
- Smith attended Our Lady of Lourdes, a private Catholic elementary school in Philadelphia.
- Later, he went to Overbrook High School.
- Despite being offered a scholarship to attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), he chose not to attend college and instead pursued a career in music.
- Music Career:
- Smith began as the MC of the hip-hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, with his childhood friend Jeffrey “DJ Jazzy Jeff” Townes as the turntablist and producer.
- They won the first-ever Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance in 1989 for “Parents Just Don’t Understand”.
- After two successful albums, Smith accumulated a large tax debt and was nearly bankrupt before starring in “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”.
- Acting Career:
- Smith’s acting career took off with the popular TV series “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, which ran for six seasons.
- He transitioned to films and starred in numerous box office hits such as “Bad Boys”, “Independence Day”, and “Men in Black”.
- Smith’s performances in “Ali” and “The Pursuit of Happyness” earned him nominations for the Academy Award for Best Actor.
- Production Career:
- Smith and his partner James Lassiter founded a production company called Overbrook Entertainment.
- Through Overbrook, he produced films like “I Am Legend”, “Hancock”, and “The Karate Kid”, featuring his son Jaden Smith.
Awards and Nominations
- Smith has received numerous awards and nominations throughout his career.
- He has been nominated for two Academy Awards and five Golden Globe Awards.
- Smith has won four Grammy Awards out of a total of eight nominations.
- Smith married Sheree Zampino in 1992, and they have a son named Willard Carroll “Trey” Smith III. The couple divorced in 1995.
- In 1997, Smith married actress Jada Koren Pinkett. Together, they have two children: Jaden Christopher Syre Smith and Willow Camille Reign Smith.
- Smith and his family reside in Los Angeles, California.